7.17.2009

Soul Train.



I was talking with my dad about MJ's death a few weeks back.
Sidenote: My dad actually shed tears when MJ died and I have never seen my dad cry, ever.

We were discussing MJ's talent and how amazing he was.
It is so hard for me to wrap my head around it.
He was a prodigy, not only in his adult years, but as a child.
I mean, have you ever seen a child perform like that and with the talent to back it up?
No.
Have you seen anyone perform like that, with the talent to back it up?
No.
I don't think we will see that level of talent for a long effing time.
I just don't see it coming anytime soon.
MJ was a once in a lifetime artist.
He was the last legend, an icon.

And the sad thing is, I don't think artists today even have the opportunity to try to reach his level.
With technology and the paparazzi, there is no mystery surrounding our musicians or entertainers anymore.
That certain mystery adds a mythical element to them as if they are untouchable or something.
I mean, would the citizens of Gotham City be as intrigued with Batman if they all knew he was really Bruce Wayne?

We don't need to know every little thing about them, but everyone wants to.
With great talents, sometimes you just need their music to speak for them but that is a thing of the past.
We are more concerned with their Tweets, rather than their art.

I also think the labels are too hesitant to allow an artist to try something off the wall (pun intended).
They would be too afraid that their unique style would flop and cost them money.
Too much control, not enough artistic liberty.

Fuck that, I want MJ back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment