3.14.2010

It's bigger than hip-hop.

Since I'm a blogger, I normally browse different sites to see what's new.
One of the main sites I'll visit from time to time is World Star Hip Hop.
Today when I visited the site, I definitely came to the realization that they must believe hip hop is synonymous with violence or ignorant people.

You'd figure that a website called World Star HIP HOP would be all about anything related to hip hop. But instead, half of their clips are about someone getting violently attacked/killed, being extremely ignorant, or somebody's booty popping. If this is what they think hip hop is about, then Houston, we have a problem.

It's so irritating to me when I go on their site and have to dodge the posts about some man setting his wife on fire or a video of a man shooting a Rottweiler. That has nothing at all to do with music or music artists, and I sure as hell don't wanna see it anyway. I feel like the people that run that site(whether they're doing it on purpose or not) are trying to make some sort of tie between all of that stuff and hip hop, and its not right. Especially for those people that don't know anything about real hip hop. I also believe that some people use hip hop music to try and understand how black people are. They listen to the songs and look at the videos and think that gives them a sneak peak into our lives. But if World Star Hip Hop is what they're looking at to learn about "hip hop culture", then they have no effing clue.

This is what I feel like hip hop is (the older joints):
Dead Prez: Hip Hop


The Roots: What they do


Black Star ft Common: Respiration


Camp Lo: Luchini


The Fugees: Fu-gee-la


Common: I used to love H.E.R.


Common ft Lauryn Hill: Retrospect for life


I could go on and on and on, but I'm going to go ahead and end there. :)

xoxo,
LMo

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment