4.04.2011

Music Monday. 4.4.11

This week, Leslie and I will dedicate our Music Monday to one artist:
The artist I choose is fly ass Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott.
I think its safe to say that everyone is starting to miss the 90s in some shape or form, and the music, hip-hop in particular, is definitely something I miss.
And one of my favorite artist to emerge out of 90s was definitely Missy.
She was the bomb!

Missy was a completely original artist who knew how to have fun!
I loved her confidence, especially since she wasn't a size 2.
And as a female MC, she never reduced herself to sexual objectification, yet had no problem infusing sexual topics into her music. Yes!
Missy was always evolving and pushing the envelope.
I remember being a kid waiting for her videos to come on, she was so cool and unique.

I was recently having a convo about the current state of hip-hop and how its lost its artistry. Realizing that so many people today came up trying to model their careers after people like Diddy (more business entertainment than true art), rather than looking up to artist like Missy (an entertainer who never had to jeopardize her artistic integrity for popularity).

And as someone recently reminded me, let us not forget, Missy discovered Timbaland not the other way around. ;)

1) Missy Elliott ft. Da Brat-"Sock It 2 Me"

2) Missy Elliott-"Beep Me 911"


3) Missy Elliott-"Hot Boyz"



4) Timbaland & Magoo ft. Aaliyah and Missy Elliott-"Up Jumps Da' Boogie"

They were the flyest crew, I promise.

5) Missy Elliott-"Im Talkin"

Nigga...what's up?


6) Missy Elliott-"The Rain"

You cant talk about Missy without mentioning this.

Peace,
Jai

My artist is Big K.R.I.T. His mixtape, "Return of 4eva" dropped last week and it was quite ridiculous.
I think I may even like it better than "K.R.I.T. Wuz Here." (and that's saying something).

Since this last mixtape, K.R.I.T. has been getting soo much play.
I think this was the one that really convinced the naysayers that he was legit.
And oh how legit he is.

1) Big K.R.I.T.- "Rotation"


2) Big K.R.I.T.- "Highs and Lows"


3) BIG K.R.I.T.- "Time Machine"


4) BIG K.R.I.T.- "Kings Blues"


One Love,

LMo

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment